Can sugarless gum really be used to fight cavities? According to many studies that have been done, chewing sugarless gum for roughly 20 minutes after eating can help guard your tooth enamel. The benefits are due to an increase in saliva production, which can wash away plaque buildup, neutralize harmful acids, and prevent cavities. Here are a few hints to remember when adding sugarless gum to your oral health care routine:
– Sugarless gum helps clear away chewy or sticky debris that has been left behind on your teeth and gums after meals.
– According to many studies, sugarless gum can help fight heartburn and its accompanying acidic stomach acids.
– Sugarless gum should be avoided if you tend to have any jaw pain when chewing or if you have a known TMJ disorder.
– Never skip daily habits like brushing and flossing even if you are using supplemental cleaning tools such as sugarless gum or mouthwash.
– Sugarless gum or even mouthwash should be used after snack time instead of brushing your teeth because your teeth are sensitive at this time and can be damaged by abrasive forms of toothpaste.
For more oral health care advice or to schedule an oral exam with Dr. Douglas Wheelock and our team at our dentist office in Sioux City, Iowa, please contact Wheelock & Bursick Dentistry at 712-274-2038. We look forward to helping you soon!