Every single year in America, over 42,000 individuals will be diagnosed with oral or throat cancer. These cancers are extremely deadly and contain a 5-year survival rate of roughly 64%. This means it is imperative to have it found early on. To help protect your mouth from the dangers of oral cancer, it is important to look for signs and symptoms of its presence. Listed below are common indications of oral cancer:
– If your mouth is regularly bleeding, including unexplained bouts of bleeding, oral cancer may be present.
– If you have any sores visible on your face, neck, or mouth that frequently bleed and will not heal within two weeks, oral cancer may be the cause.
– Throat soreness, as well as chronic sore throats, are a known sign of oral cancer.
– Look for indications of white, red, or speckled patches inside your mouth.
– A common symptom of cancer involves unexplained weight loss.
– If you have any complications with routine functions of your mouth, such as chewing and swallowing, as well as moving your jaw and tongue, visit your dentist.
– Look for symptoms of visible damage to your facial area, including abnormal swelling and thickenings, rough spots, crust, eroded areas, lumps or bumps, or other visual abnormalities to your gums, lips, and any areas inside your mouth.
– Always look for indications of unexplained numbness, any loss of feeling or sensation in your facial areas, as well as any pain or tenderness in your mouth.
You may be at an elevated risk for oral cancer. Wheelock & Associates Dentistry is here to help you with all your oral health care needs. For a comprehensive diagnosis from Dr. Dr Ryan Baller and our team of dental specialists in Sioux City, Iowa, you can book an appointment by calling us at 712-274-2038.